My name is Bernice Carnegie, and in the 1930s, 40s and 50s, my late father, Herb Carnegie, was an anomaly in semi-pro hockey. As recounted in thousands of articles, books and documentaries, this black trailblazer had an outstanding 17-year career in semi-pro hockey playing on predominantly all-white teams. Like the title of his autobiography, he was “A Fly in a Pail of Milk.” Was racism a factor back then? It sure was!
We invite you to follow Herb Carnegie’s lead by supporting the goals of The CI project that aim to pass the puck forward to build a hockey legacy that strives to unify humanity through initiatives that foster inclusion and acceptance.
Hi. My name is Bryant McBride. I’m the Co-Chairman of The Carnegie Initiative. The Carnegie Initiative was built to grow the game of hockey; to increase the acceptance and belonging in the game. I got the opportunity to play at a very young age and it changed the trajectory of my life. It’s an opportunity that all kids should get — Kids of all backgrounds , all colors, all differences.
The game is an opportunity to learn how to win, to learn how to lose, to learn how to overcome obstacles. It’s a great equalizer for kids of all ages of all backgrounds. And every opportunity that we get to accelerate that growth, that acceptance, is something that we’re going to pursue. We welcome your help in doing that. Thank you again for supporting The Carnegie Initiative and we look forward to working with you.
- Herb Carnegie’s Hockey Hall of Fame Call was Long Overdue, but Welcome“I didn’t really believe it was ever going to happen,” says Bernice Carnegie, after decades of support for her father’s induction based on a legacy of inspiration and achievement. […]
- Transition Game: A Deep Dive into the GTHL’s Inclusion EffortsThe Carnegie Initiative (CI), in partnership with the NHL, NHLPA, MLSE, the Greater Toronto Hockey League (GTHL), and the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU), is excited to announce the Transition Game: A Deep Dive into GTHL Inclusion Efforts on November 8. The event will take place on the late Herb Carnegie’s 103rd birthday at MLSE Launchpad. […]
- Herb Carnegie Elected to Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2022The Carnegie Initiative (CI), in partnership with the NHL, NHLPA, MLSE, the Greater Toronto Hockey League (GTHL), and the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU), is excited to announce the Transition Game: A Deep Dive into GTHL Inclusion Efforts on November 8. The event will take place on the late Herb Carnegie’s 103rd birthday at MLSE Launchpad. […]
- The CI and Partners Announce ‘Celebrating Black Excellence and Joy in Hockey’ CampaignOn Thursday, Feb. 17, The CI along with Wollman Park Partners, the Premier Hockey Federation and Turner Sports/Bleacher Report launched […]
- The Carnegie Initiative Summit 2022The Carnegie Initiative SummitJan. 17-18, 2022The HUB and TD Garden, Boston, MA The Carnegie Initiative proudly announces its first-ever conference […]
- The CI Announces Renowned List of Speakers, Topics For Inaugural SummitScholar and author Ibram X. Kendi To Headline The Carnegie Initiative Inaugural Summit in Boston, January 17-18, 2022 Panels and […]